VFL: Watson's six sinks Werribee

on . Posted in Blog

A poor third quarter has again haunted Werribee in their round 10 Peter Jackson VFL loss to the Northern Blues at a cold IKON Park. The Tigers surrendered an eight point lead at the main break to trail by 30 points at three-quarter-time after the Blues slammed on eight goals; four of them to Carlton listed Matthew Watson (marking above) in a best-on-ground performance.

Werribee fought back hard in the final term with six goals to two but ran out of time, a post-siren goal to Majak Daw reducing the margin to four points, the final score 16.10.106 to 15.12.102. Watson starring up forward for the home side with six goals while runners David Ellard (28 disposals), Jason Tutt (21) and Mark Whiley (28) provided supply with plenty of run and carry and Blaine Brockhurst (26) were also in the Blues best.





For Werribee Jake Wilson battled manfully in defence along with midfielders Jye Bolton and Matt Hanson and Mason Wood tried hard in attack, Daw, Kayne Turner and Kieran Harper their major goal kickers with three each. It was a tough opening with only three goals scored, Werribee having the better of the term and could have been further in front at the first change but for their inaccuracy at goal.

The goals flowed in the second term with both sides trading blows, when Turner kicked truly 31 minutes in the Tigers lead was out to 20 points and they looked to have the ascendency. The Blues manufactured two important late goals to Blaine Johnson and Fraser Russell to narrow the margin to eight points at the main break and swing the momentum back their way.

With the third quarter memories from the week before still fresh in the Tigers minds, coach John Lamont would have been hoping for a more determined effort this time - enter Watson. The spearhead marked everything that came his way giving the Werribee defenders including Brody Mihocek, Wilson and Tom Holman nightmares.

The Blues hit the lead three minutes in thanks to Watson and in the blink of an eye they had booted the first seven goals of the quarter to be 36 points in front. They were winning the clearances and contested possession count and had 17 inside 50s to Werribee's seven to take all the momentum into the final term.

Turner got the Tigers off to the start they needed goalling from the goal square in the first minute. Daw and Harper kept the Tigers in it adding two more and when Turner kicked his third, thirteen minutes in, the lead had been cut to eleven points. Then match winner Watson booted long to the goal square where Johnson marked un-attended, he kicked truly to stretch the lead to 17 points with time running out on the clock.

After several close losses it was a spirited Blues effort in the last quarter to hold off the Tigers to record their first win since round four. They have a chance to string victories together next round when they host Frankston at Etihad Stadium in an AFL curtain-raiser while Werribee will welcome the bye to regroup before facing Coburg at home in round twelve.

For full scoreboard click here