VFL: Richmond advance to Preliminary Final.

on . Posted in Blog

Richmond has continued the ride and dream of the yellow and black wave defeating the Casey Demons in the VFL semi-final at Fortburn Stadium in Port Melbourne. The Tigers got out to a 61-point lead midway through the third quarter but the Demons fought back to get within 20 points in the final term before running out of time, the Tigers winning 19.14.128 to 15.11.101.

 The win mirrored their AFL team the night before at the MCG by booking a Preliminary Final berth. They will meet the Box Hill Hawks next Saturday back at Port Melbourne. Tyson Stengle starred for the Tigers setting up their win with four first half goals, he was well supported by Sam Lloyd with 23 touches and three goals. The Tiger's small forwards were explosive throughout the match with Shai Bolton and 23rd man Shaun Mannagh, two goals, providing fans with many highlights. A Bolton hanger (above) near on siren time to end the game was the icing on the cake for Tiger fans.



Thomas Bugg booted three goals for the Demons and did his best to get his side back into the match while Corey Maynard (game-high 35 touches) Billy Stretch (25 possessions) Ben Kennedy and out-of-contract midfielder Jack Trengove (31 touches) worked hard all day for the Demons. The Demons lost talented midfielder Angus Brayshaw to a neck injury in the opening minutes of the game and he was taken to hospital not long after leaving the field. The club cautious of his history with concussion but confident he will return to AFL football.


Richmond had many players looking to earn a recall to their AFL side, bigman Shaun Hampson marked and rucked well as did tall forward Ben Griffith (2 goals) while Anthony Miles (32 disposals) provided his usual grunt around the packs and Jayden Short (24 touches) on the wing and across half-back played well. Another healthy crowd was in attendance in fine conditions. The Demons squandered chances on goal in the first quarter with three goals from eleven shots while at the other end Stengle was on fire early for the Tigers with two goals.

The Tigers ran riot in the second quarter piling on eight goals to Casey's two, Bolton and Ben Lennon helping themselves to two each as they went to the main break with a 39-point lead. They booted 11 of 12 goals either side of the half time siren to seemingly have the game done and dusted during the third quarter.

Casey lifted however and kicked seven straight majors to get within 20 points in the final term before Mannagh stepped up kicking two for the Tigers, sending the Demons packing and out of the finals race in straight sets. The winner of Richmond and Box Hill will face the winner of the second Preliminary Final between Williamstown and Port Melbourne in this year's VFL Grand Final at Etihad Stadium on September 24.

For full match details log onto the VFL website here