Hawthorn-Monash secure first Premier League win in almost a year.

on . Posted in Blog

Hawthorn Monash secured their first win in almost twelve months with a three-wicket victory over Greenvale in round three of the Bartercard Victorian Premier League cricket season. The Hawks finished on 7-213 to overtake Greenvale's 8-212 in the second last over of the day thanks largely to a fine century from Kumar Sarna (above).

Sarna compiled 107 and was supported by opener Grant Westgarth (35) and keeper Locky Inglis (36) to steer the Hawks home. The Hawks won the toss and sent the home side in on a slow wicket at Greenvale Reserve.





The Roo's were in early trouble at three for twenty-two with Hawk's opening bowler Javid Khan snaring all three wickets in an impressive spell. Worcestershire import Ben Cox steadied the ship for the Roos with help from Sunam Gautam (17) and English co-import Jack Shantry (32).

They reached 5-109 before losing three more quick wickets to see them teetering at 8-142. Tailender Kyle Adams then joined Cox to put on an un-beaten 70 to provide the Roo's with a competitive total on the big ground.

Cox finished un-beaten with a fine 93 from 133 balls while Adams remained 30 not out. Khan was the pick of the Hawk's bowlers with 3-26 from his ten overs while skipper Ryan Ninan finished with 2-48.

The Hawk's run chase began cautiously as openers Westgarth and Gaurav Kapoor crept to thirty before Adams trapped Kapoor in front for 9. Westgarth was then joined by Sarna and the pair gathered some momentum, taking the score to 124 before Westgarth lost his wicket, caught off Trent Waring.

Sarna dominated the scoring. When he was finally dismissed, caught off Roo's paceman Aaron Smillie, he had struck 107 of the Hawk's 182. Captain Ninan seeing the Hawks home for a much needed boost to their final season in the competition, the Hawks recently agreeing to a merger with Dandenong from next season.

Adams toiled hard for the Roo's with 2-41 from his ten overs while Smillie was probably the pick with 1-27 off his ten. The Hawks came back to earth the following day losing to Melbourne while Greenvale failed to contain Prahran in their round four one-dayers.